ABOUT THE PLAY
Ash (believe me, you do not want to call her “Ashley”) Miller’s dream is to catch the winning touchdown pass for the Westmont High Titans’ Homecoming game. Football is in her blood. In order to make the team, Ash will have to prove she is one of the guys even if that means sacrificing her body for the love of the game.
- Ashley "Ash" Miller: (She/Her, age 14-17). Ash is the definition of tough. All she cares about is football, try to talk her out of it and you’ll be sorry
- Sam Jones: (He/Him, age 14-17). Sam is the all-star, stereotypical “golden boy” because that is who he feels he has to be. He carries the weight of the team on his shoulders.
- Darla Miller: (She/Her, age 30's).“Adam’s old lady,” “Adam’s Widow,” …really, she would just like to be seen as Darla.
- Coach D.: (He/Him , age 30's). “Mr. Daniels," but prefers the title “Coach. He “manspreads” and “mansplains” until there is barely any space left in the room.
- Virtual, on-demand production, Relative Theatrics, April 16 - May 2, 2021, Laramie, WY
- Reading, Phoenix Theatre, Jan. 15, 2020, Indianapolis, IN
- Regional Premiere, Majestic Rep Theatre, Feb 28th - March 24th, 2019, Las Vegas, NV
- Tight End receives Honorable Mention in the Jane Chambers 2017 Student Playwriting Award
- World Premiere, 20% Theatre Company Chicago, May 3 - June 3rd, 2017, Chicago, IL
- Top 20 Finalist for the CulturalDC's Source Theatre Festival in Washington D.C., 2017
- Workshop, National New Play Network's MFA Workshop Festival at the Kennedy Center, 2016
- Staged Reading, 20% Theatre Company Chicago, 2016
- Reading, Ohio University, 2015
- Tight End is chosen as one of the Best Shows in Chicago for 2017!
- Tight End is a PerformInk Chicago Critic's Pick!
- "Playwright Rachel Bykowski beautifully illustrates the world of small town high school football and its influence on its fans in 20% Theatre Company’s production of TIGHT END."
- Recommended for the Las Vegas Valley Theatre Awards 2019.
- "The script is tight and compelling, with plenty of humor to leaven the intensity.” - Talkin’ Broadway.
- 3.5 out of 4 stars "The heartfelt, passionate performances of this acting ensemble carry the audience along an emotional roller-coaster...” - EatMoreArtVegas.com.
- Ada Grey - "People who would like this show are people who like powerful stories, strong women in bad situations, and overcoming obstacles. I think this is an intriguing play. It made me think a lot about what our society is like today and what we can do to change it. I liked it."
- "Playwright Rachel Bykowski and director Kallie Noelle Rolison are to be commended for their refusal to traffic in propagandistic caricature, instead striving for the tragic inevitability of noble intentions undone by obsessive hubris." - Windy City Media Group
Streaming, On-Demand Virtual Production by Relative Theatrics in Laramie, WY
Reading at Phoenix Theatre in Indianapolis, IN
The reading was presented by Phoenix Theatre in collaboration with Women4Change Indiana and El Tendedero/The Clothesline project to raise awareness to violence against women.
Jan. 15, 2020
Jan. 15, 2020
Regional Premiere by Majestic Rep Theatre in Las Vegas, NV
Photos from Majestic Repertory Theatre Regional Premiere Production of Tight End featuring Mckenna Castro, Cristina Florea, Adam Martinez, and Miles Nelson . Directed by Troy Heard. Photos by July Castillo
World Premiere by 20% Theatre in Chicago, IL
Photos from 20% Theatre Company Chicago's World Premiere Production of Tight End featuring Bryce Saxon, Erich Peltz, Rachel Mock, and Patrick Pantelis. Directed by Kallie Rolison. Photos by kClare Kemock