A middle-class story about what makes you call a piece of land, home. Camaro Gibson loves only three things in this life: strawberry glazed donuts, her daddy, and Route 66. Born and raised on the Southside of Chicago in her daddy’s car repair shop, Camaro dreams of taking historic Route 66 all the way to where the water meets the land and she’s not talking about Lake Michigan. Start in Chicago, south to Springfield, then St. Louis, cut through Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and in ten days, there you are… the West Coast with the ocean at her feet. Camaro has never seen the ocean before, only in her daddy’s stories. She is determined to break out of the Southside and take him back to his home in California. Camaro keeps her daddy’s heart in the repair shop: a 1967 Chevy Camaro engine. For the last ten years, since her daddy passed away, she has been trying to get that baby to rev. Today might be the day, if it wasn’t for the customers still coming in and a lot full of cars that need work. Something keeps her showing up everyday. Whether it’s the motor oil, diesel fuel, or rusty carbonators, she keeps plunging her hands in the grease because it feels like home.
- CAMARO GIBSON: Female, 38-years-old, any race or ethnicity. Camaro loves three things in this life: strawberry glazed donuts from Dunkin Donuts, her daddy, and his 1967 Chevy Camaro. She got an engine for a heart and oil for blood. Don’t try to change her. Stubborn as all Hell, just like her daddy.
- LUCY “LUCKY” WELLS: Female, 25-years-old, any race or ethnicity. Sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps. Confident cause she knows her shit, but still “lost” in the way every twenty-something is lost. You give her an inch, she’ll take hundred miles cause she is just that good.
- ASTON GIBSON: Female, 34-years-old, any race or ethnicity. Camaro’s younger sister and night shift RN. Used to be a wild child when she was younger, still is at heart. She got a mouth and a temper that goes from 0 to 60 in three seconds flat.
- Staged Reading with Activate Midwest – Western Michigan University: Kalamazoo, MI (June, 2019)
- Winner of the SETC/Stage Rights Ready to Publish Award 2019
- Staged reading at the Chameleon Theatre Circle New Play Festival: Bloomington, MN (Nov 2018
- Staged reading at the Players Club of Swarthmore New Play Festival: Swarthmore, PA (July 2018)
- Runner-up for the 2018 Todd McNerney Playwriting Award
- Reading at the Piccolo Spoleto Festival: Charleston, SC (May/June 2018)
- Reading with Prop Thtr’s Church of the New Play Festival: Chicago, IL (May 2018)